12.20.2008

I Chew on my Stereo

I'm not being ageist. I'm not being clothingist. But I have to put my foot down.

Middle aged women wearing tank tops and hoodies with tight jeans and Uggs? Not allowed. Older men wearing low-riding baggy jeans, fitted graphic tees, and Vans? I cringe.
This is a difficult post to write since I do not want to seem discriminatory. But I don't understand why older men and women can't let go of their younger years, suck it up and wear age-appropriate clothing. I see adults on the street wearing clothing that is specifically designed for teenagers. Sometimes I think, "I own that..." I don't know if this is an insult to me as well, but I'm pretty sure it's definitely an insult to them. I was up at Starbucks a few days ago, pleasantly enjoying the solitude while I read a magazine, and was horribly yanked out of my reverie by a man that walked in. Looking to be about 50, with greying hair (nothing wrong with this, but...), he was wearing black Converse shoes, baggy grey jeans, and a red cotton polo shirt. Over this he wore a black leather jacket. I hastily left, aiming for the other Starbucks across the street.

I guess it goes both ways, too. It's not as bad when younger children and teens wear clothing that is designed for adults, but it is still kind of shocking when you see it. Some can pull it off (a name comes to mind, Valerie), but when you see a 15-ish year old girl in a khaki pantsuit and heels, you draw the line. It should be a thick line too, maybe in red Sharpie or a fluorescent marker.

No comments:

Followers