12.02.2008

Autobus

I'm such an observer it's not even funny (it actually is, I hate it when people use that expression).
This afternoon I was on the bus and I noticed something in my regular scan of everyone who was riding with me. It was so surprising, so hilarious, so unexpected, that I burst out laughing (I stopped quickly).

After the mild indignation faded off everyone's faces, and believe me, that took a while for this one woman. She just kept staring at me with a shocked and angry face like I had just shot her only child and then smugly laid the body on her living room floor while I helped myself to her Nutella. So after the indignation faded off her face, I checked again. Sure enough, on everyone's faces except for the sleeping woman in the back, there was a hint of smugness. It tainted the faces of all the adults on the bus, some more pronounced in others.

The businesswoman in the skirt suit (whatever that is) had the corner of her mouth turned up faintly and was looking at the people on the street with scorn. Now, usually I would just explain this with She's just having a bad day and has a weird way of showing it or Maybe she just got a raise and bought that lovely pinstriped skirt suit. But oh, no. I realized it now. The weird dreadlocked guy talking to the bus driver (when people do this, try to make conversation with the person that has no interest in them whatsoever, it makes me want to either push them off the bus or push my self off it), also had this look on his face. The Asian woman with the thick, gold rimmed glasses that made her eyes bug out and will probably give me nightmares when I go to sleep had the look. The guy in the back with the fedora (ew). The bus was almost full, too, so I got a nice look at everyone's infuriatingly smug face.

I think their faces were like this because they were proud they were riding the bus. For me, that's like being proud for brushing my teeth or making myself lunch. Maybe even breathing, but then again, I am proud for my ability to breathe. My lungs work day after day after day and never get a break. So never mind.

Moral: Don't get on the bus with a smug face, and also, don't talk to the bus driver.



No comments:

Followers